Wednesday, August 8, 2012

You Can be a Runner!


Last night as I was up late packing for Lexy and my trip to Baltimore and North Myrtle Beach (no matter how hard I try, I am always up late packing the night before)  I was thinking how crazy it is how much I have changed in the past year and a half.  Case in point: I packed an entire gym bag full of running shorts, tanks, sports bras, running socks and two pairs of running shoes (one for normal running and an old pair to use for running on the beach).  Two years ago, I did not even own any workout clothes, let alone pack them for vacation! As I looked over my running schedule for the next two weeks to try to plan when I would incorporate my running into my vacation I was once again reminded that I am officially now what I never imagined I would ever be- a runner.  

And you know what- if I can become a runner, then anyone can. I know that seems like a very broad statement and some of you may be thinking, “Carrie doesn’t know what she is talking about I have never been able to run or running hurts my shins or I have asthma” or a multitude of other excuses.  The truth is I used to use all of those excuses too!  I remember in college I was always jealous of my friends who were runners and who ran regularly and raced in 5ks-  it seemed so natural to them and I honestly believed that you were either born a runner or not a runner.  Every now and then- I would say maybe once every year- I would decide that I wanted to run too, and I would go out for a “run.”  After about 5 minutes I would have to stop, red-faced, out of breath and panting, shins screaming- which only served to reinforce my belief that I was not and could not be a runner. 
Now those of you who know me (or regularly read the blog), know that I now run 4 days a week, ran the entire 13.1 miles of the Cincinnati Flying Pig Half-Marathon, and I am once again training for a fall-half marathon.  I am in a running group and I very rarely miss a scheduled running day- even while on vacation.  So what changed? (and no, I did not get a lung transplant or all of the sudden become a natural athlete).   For those of you who may be wondering how I (and you can!) transitioned from a couch potato to a runner, here are some tips or advice that really helped me along the way:

  • Start slowly and gradually build up: In the past, I would just go outside and try to run- which obviously my body was not prepared for- thus I would end up hurt and discouraged.  This time, I approached it differently and started with walking first. After about two months of walking, I started the Couch to 5k Program- (I used an app on my phone but there are also written training plans for this). Couch to 5k is great, because it uses walking/running intervals with the running intervals gradually increasing with the goal of being able to run 30-35 minutes without stopping at the end of the 9-12 week period.  Starting slowly is key to not getting injured!
  • Get good running shoes/socks: I balked when my friend Sarah told me I needed running socks that cost $10.00 a pair- after all- how much difference could socks make? Turns out, they make all the difference in the world- I ran one time without running socks and it is the only time in a year and a half of running that I got blisters! My favorite brands are feetures and baiga.  Do not do what I used to do and pick out your tennis shoes based on which ones look prettier or cooler- go to a running store and get fitted for the proper shoes for your feet based on your gait/foot structure, etc…
  • Ask for advice from people who run: I think because we all technically know how to run in a generic sense, we do not view running as something that we have to learn how to do- which is a big mistake.  If you decided you wanted to be a gymnast, would you automatically start trying to do back handsprings on the balance beam? Running is the same way! There are a variety of ways that you can learn how to run: ask a friend or family member who is a runner to watch you run and help you correct your form, join a running group in your area (which I highly recommend- even though I did not join until over a year after I had been running), or heck, even simply type beginning runner into google- there are a TON of articles out there about proper form, ways to avoid injuries, etc.     
  • Make it a priority: Decide when you are going to run and stick to the plan.  The trick is to do it enough to make it a habit- after the first few weeks it will be so ingrained in your routine that you will not even think twice about doing it!
  • Do not compare yourself to others: Instead of focusing on trying to be Usain Bolt or lamenting the fact that the girl next to you is running like a gazelle while you are a huffing and puffing hot sweaty mess, focus on the fact that every day you are getting stronger and healthier and celebrate small accomplishments such as being able to run for 10 minutes without stopping or by achieving a personal best time (even if it is only by a few seconds!)
  • Do not expect every run to be an improvement: with running, I have found that you can never predict if you will have a great run or a bad run. In fact sometimes what you think will be the easiest runs end up being the most difficult!  It is all part of the process, so do  not let yourself get defeated- it is the hard runs that make you stronger!
  • If you are running, you are a runner:  I am SO guilty of this- for so long, instead of  identifying myself as a runner, I would say things like” “I may run but I’m certainly not fast” or “I sometimes have to talk walk breaks so I am not really a runner.” That is complete crap. If you run, you are a runner. It is as simple as that!
Do you want to start running? Do you have any questions? Leave them in the comments and I will try to answer them!

2 comments:

  1. This morning in boot camp we had a warm up run around the parking lot. It was about a mile. I actually ran the entire time...no slowing down to walk! I was so proud of myself! And I'm not one who enjoys running. I'm the huffing, puffing, hot, sweaty mess who's running is more like a jog. But I did it! I am so proud of myself today. And I might be able to tolerate running soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Martha! That's awesome and a great accomplishment. If you still have picture perfect hair & makeup at the end you aren't going hard enough. Woohoo for conquering the parking lot, keep it up Sister!

    ReplyDelete