Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Jillian is my best friend


If Carrie is my 'sister' than I want Jillian to be my best friend.  I'll share her with you- listen to her podcasts, they are just under 1 hour each and are free to download.  One of my favorites is from February 15th entitled “Fad Diets.”  There are currently 82 podcasts available, with a wealth of information.  Since we recently moved my commuting time has gone from 30 + minutes to only 5 minutes, so it takes a lot longer for me to get through an episode. 

Each show starts off with about 20 minutes of Jillian and producer Janice discussing a hot topic like motivating the ones we love, not-so-great workout trends, debunking the plateau, detoxifying our lives and in the 2/15/2012 podcast fad diets.  There’s plenty of banter that you come to know and love from Jillian and they usually take 2 calls or emails from their listeners.  Sometimes I am lucky and all three subjects speak directly to me, but no matter what I always learn something.  The October 7, 2011 episode is also super helpful in addressing the topic “Can I afford to go Organic?” (a topic that is near and dear to us Smart Sassy Sisters)
Ok, back to the Fad Diet show....I’m not a nutritionist but I can promise between the time I finish writing this post and you read it there will be a new latest and greatest diet that you JUST HAVE to try.  I don’t care if you are talking about Atkin’s, HCG, the Popcorn Diet, Zone Diet, Dukan Diet, Air Diet, Low Carb, Paleo, or Cabbage Soup Diet (I promise I didn’t make any of those up, but clearly someone else did!) Here’s the secrets according to the irreverant and hilariously funny Jillian Michaels:
  •  Don’t eat chemicals-if you can’t pronounce it, don’t put it in your body
  • Eat lots of fruits & vegetables (that doesn’t mean french fried potatoes or apple pie).  I mean a real, whole banana and snap peas. 
  • Consume organic meats & dairy, carbohydrates and fats in small quantities. 
  • In order to lose weight you have to consume less than you are burning off by exercise.  You can have 2 pieces of pizza or 10 bowls of fresh fruits & vegetables.  Which do you think will have more fiber and nutritional value?  I don’t want to be ravenous in 2 hours, so I want to fill my body with good quality ingredients. 
 
April 28th also had a great show called "Fat Fighting Foods" where Jillian highlighted the benefits of some overlooked options.  They included:
  • Green Tea-if you get bored with drinking water all the time, this is a great alternative that has also been proven to help with digestion, fighting disease and burning fat.  (Just don't load it up with sugar making it a sweet green tea.) 
  • Pure Fish Oil-provides you with greater concentration and endurance.  I don't eat fish at all, and I have the attention span of a gnat, so this is something I really need to try out!
  • Pistachio's-make sure to get the kind where you have to actually open the shell.  This will slow down the time it takes you to devour a handful.  Just like all nuts they are full of healthy fats.
  • Pomagranates-another choice where the lengthy preperation time will slow down your eating time.  They are also a great source of antioxidants and potassium. 

Once you get hooked on Jillian's fabulousness, you will see why she has such a big fan base!  Carrie & I are both thrilled to see that Jillian is back on The Biggest Loser which starts Janurary 2013.  She was on for 10 seasons and took a break the past couple of years.  Don't worry, Bob and Dolvett will still be there for eye candy and hard core workouts!  There will be a new spin this year when they take on childhood obesity and change the lives of children between 13-17. 

Do you have any podcasts that you listen to on a regular basis?  I would love to check them out!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy to see Jillian is going back to The Biggest Loser! Our home really missed her on the show. I was also really glad to see that the child participants will not be eligible for elimination. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete