Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Honey Oatmeal Cookies

fresh from the oven!
I wanted to bake some Christmas treats for some special people in my life, but now that I am a smartsassysister I could not justify making the normal Christmas corn-syrup filled cookies to give out- I mean, after all of the blogs I have written this year I could not exactly dip some oreos in chocolate and hand them out without being a hypocrite:)  So I did what any smartsassysister would do- I googled "healthy Christmas cookies!"  Now to be fair, the recipe below is not 100% clean or entirely healthy (it does include brown sugar), however I made it with all organic ingredients and it is definitely a more nutritious treat than a stack of sugar cookies with icing!

Healthy Honey Oatmeal Cookies

Ingredients:
Dough mixture
3 tbsp butter, room temperature
1/2 c organic brown sugar
1/4 c honey
1 egg
1 tbsp water
1/2 c whole wheat flour
 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 c rolled oats
optional: chopped nuts, dried fruit or chocolate chips (I chose organic semisweet chocolate chips)

Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray or grease a cookie sheet.
- Mix together the butter, brown sugar, honey, egg and water thoroughly.
- Sift together the dry ingredients then stir in the oats.  Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well. Add any of the optional ingredients you have chosen.
- Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes and cook on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment