Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Kale Salad

A few months ago I talked about how much I loved making Kale chips.  Just sprinkle the leaves with olive oil and sea salt and bake up until they are light and crispy.  I was making these 'chips' almost every week and started to read up on all the benefits of Kale. Not only is it low in calorie, high in fiber and has 0 fat, it's also filled with antioxidants and is a great source of iron and vitamin K, A and C.  And it has more calcium than cow's milk!  With all those benefits I figured it would be a wonderful addition to my kitchen plans each week.  The Kale Salad recipe below is my new favorite way to prepare it.

1 large bowl of washed Kale leaves (I usually use the whole bunch)
Kale is tougher & more bitter than spinach or many of the other greens I am used to.  To get the best flavor & coverage you need to massage it.  Add the olive oil & salt to the kale and just dig in with your hands and start breaking it down.  Work the kale pieces until they get smaller, bright green and coated in olive oil.

1 tablespoon of lemon olive oil.  (You can also use EVOO and add some lemon juice if you don't have flavored oil)
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt


After it's all mixed & massaged I add peppitas, dried unsweetened cranberries, sliced almonds and shaved parmesan cheese.  You can add tomatoes & avocados or whatever flavor profile you like. 

I usually make a big bowl and if I don't eat it all that night I will take a container for work tomorrow.  I have never tried to see if it will last more than a day, since I eat it up as soon as I make it.  My local grocer has organic kale on sale for 99 cents a bunch every couple of months which also makes this a great frugal meal too!

Do you have any other ways you like to prepare Kale?

No comments:

Post a Comment